Coaching and Mentoring for Successful Performance
Transcript Coaching and Mentoring for Successful Performance
Coaching and Mentoring
For Successful Performance
Think about people who have brought out
the best in you.
What did they do to bring out your best?
What personal qualities did they have?
• Describe the contribution of coaching and mentoring to
improved managerial performance.
• Use key principles and skills when coaching and mentoring
• Choose appropriate coaching and mentoring methods when
fostering professional development in others.
• Develop a brief action plan to facilitate their further development
of coaching and mentoring skills.
• Advisory relationship
• Experts in the field
• Guide, answer
opinions, and direct
• Employee sets agenda
• Employee provides
• May be less expert
• Asks questions and
• Holds employee
Rate your Management Skills
Sample rating in
What do successful coaching
relationships look like?
• Consciously & intentionally designed
• Use effective communication
• Facilitate learning & results
Use Three Levels of Listening
Use Powerful Questions
• Open Ended
Practice your Coaching Skills
• Employee: Choose a topic you would
like to be coached on
• Coach: Use skills from class
• Observer: Take notes & provide specific
feedback to the coach