The Digestive System - Etiwanda E
Transcript The Digestive System - Etiwanda E
The Digestive System
By John McCormack
Did someone say Quiz?
What are the
functions of the
Who knows what
else may be at
The Beginning of
• Mouth- Before you begin eating,
saliva starts to form in your
• Saliva starts to break down the
food while you eat to make it
easier to swallow.
The Highway to the
• Esophagus- After swallowing,
food travels through the
• Muscles in the esophagus move
the food down and into the
• This process usually takes 2-3
• After food leaves the esophagus
it end up in the stomach. The
stomach has 3 important jobs.
• to store the food you've eaten
• to break down the food into a
• to slowly empty that liquidy
mixture into the small intestine
• The liver
and helping the
body get rid of
• Stores Bile
• It releases bile into the
duodendum to help digest the
fats you eat.
• The pancreas
• It also makes
break down food
in the intestines.
• It is called small because of the
• It is actually a much longer tube
than the large intestine.
• The large intestine consists of
• The last place waste is stored
until it leaves the body.
• Digestion actually starts before
you put food in your mouth.
• How does a nice slice of pizza
sound to you.
• Is Saliva forming in your mouth
for a nice piece of candy?
1) What is the first step of
2) What is the role of the liver?
3) Name two things the stomach
4) Name the three parts of the
large intestine and one
function of one of those parts?