• 1. To show the kind of questions
evolutionary biologist investigate.
• 2. Demonstrate how an evolutionary view
can inform researchers.
• 3. Introduce new concepts.
Evolution of HIV
Human Immunodeficiency viruses
These are the pathogens that cause the
acquired immune deficiency syndrome
• HIV is a compelling case study because it
raises issues that influence the lives of
• HIV is a virus that rapidly evolves drug
• HIV exemplifies two of the most pressing
public health issues of our time.the
• Evolution• 1. Descent of organisms from common
• 2. With the genetic and phenotypic changes
• 3. These changes make them more suited to
the local environment.
• Allele• 1. Alternative forms of a gene
• 2. Found at the same point on homologous
• 1. Why have promising AIDS treatments,
like AZT, proven ineffective in the long
• 2. How does HIV win its battle against the
• 3. Why does HIV kill people?
• 4. Where did HIV come from?