and FAD diets
What is Body Image?
• Body Image is how you see and feel
about your appearance AND how
comfortable you are with your body
What defines Body Image?
• CULTURE and SOCIETY!
• Clothing models and media stars set a
standard for attractiveness and
• GET THIS: Models represent less than 1
percent of the population AND are
What does it mean to have a
healthy body image?
• Listen to what your body tells you- eat
when you need to, stop when you’re
• Appreciate and care for your body
• Have realistic expectations about your
size based on your family’s genes
• Realize your weight and body shape
can change frequently and rapidly in
Unhealthy Role Models
Healthy Body Image
• Eating disorders are conditions that
involve UNHEALTHY concern about
body weight and shape
• Leads to controlling weight in
• THOUSANDS of people die each
year from complications related to
Common Eating Disorders
• Anorexia Nervosa
• Bulimia Nervosa
• Bingeing or binge eating
Are you at RISK for developing
an EATING DISORDER?
• Prefer to eat alone?
• Thinking about food often?
• Overly critical about body size,
• Eating a lot of “diet” foods?
• Weighing yourself often/every day?
• Anorexia Nervosa is Self-starvation
• Leads to a distorted body image
(thinking one is overweight when
• Someone with anorexia may
consume only a few hundred
calories PER DAY
• Their bodies begin feeding on ITSELF
as a source for energy
Anorexia can lead to:
• Intense fear of weight gain
• Loss of menstrual cycle
• Hair loss on head
• Depression and anxiety
• Low bone density
• Organ failure
• Heart failure
• Involves frequent episodes of binge
eating and purging
• Bingeing involves consuming large
quantities of food at one time
• Purging food through vomiting or
laxatives, fasting, or over exercising
Bulimia can lead to
• Unhealthy weight loss
• Blood shot eyes
• Sore throat
• Severe dehydration
• Irregular menstrual periods
• Depression and mood swings
• Hair loss
• Decay on tooth enamel and dental
• Involves frequent binge eating but no
• Accompanied by feelings of guilt, shame,
and loss of control after binge session
• A THIRD of people with weight problems
suffer from binge eating disorders
• Most binge eaters are overweight or
• Look to “Fad” diets! A Fad Diet is a
diet that requires major changes in
your eating habits and promises
• Fad Diets or programs do NOT help
with long term weight results!
• Remember: FAD diets are BAD diets!
A FAD DIET….
• Suggests limiting your diet and not
including fruits, grains, vegetables, etc.
• Diet pills- unhealthy means of weight loss
through a pill that advertises weight loss
without changing diet or exercise
• Surgery- changing structure of digestive
tract, bypassing parts of the stomachvery risky- surgeries can lead to death!
• Low Carbohydrate Diets- causes liver
problems and leads to lack of nutrients
What’s the best advice?
• The best way to manage weight:
• Eat a balanced diet that includes
food from ALL food groups
• As a teen, stay under 2,500 calories
• As you get older, stay around 2,000
• Get plenty of EXERCISE and SLEEP
• Medical and psychological therapy
• Family counseling
• Nutritional counseling
• ASK A TEACHER, FAMILY MEMBER, OR
A TRUSTED ADULT!