GENERATORS AND TRANSFORMERS
Transcript GENERATORS AND TRANSFORMERS
Induced Current Review
• The effect of inducing a current in a coil by moving a
magnet inside it
is used for the generation of electricity in power
• There are two types of generator or dynamo.
Both turn rotational energy into electrical energy.
1. One type involves rotating a coil inside a
2. The other type involves rotating a magnet
inside a coil
Both types produce ALTERNATING CURRENT.
Why do we need transformers?
• In most cases, machines and appliances
using electricity are manufactured to
operate using a specific voltage and
frequency. However, not all countries- and
sometimes not all regions within the same
country- generate the same voltage and
frequency in their electricity.
• This is where transformers com in.
Transformers adjust the voltage coming
into the appliance to the proper level, and
move it through the appliance to keep it
• A transformer can change electrical energy of a
given voltage into electrical energy at a different
voltage level. It consists of two coils arranged in
such a way that the magnetic field surrounding
one coil cuts through the other coil.
• Transformers can step up the voltage or step it
– We step up voltage to send it over long
– We step down voltage in order to use in
This transformer's job is to
reduce the 4160 volts down to
the 240 volts that makes up
normal household electrical
service. It is a step down
Step Up Transformer at Power Plant
• The factor which determines whether a
transformer is a step up( increasing the
voltage) or step down (decreasing the
voltage) type is the "turns" ratio. The turns
ratio is the ratio of the number of turns in
the primary winding to the number of turns
in the secondary winding.
• On a piece of paper answer the following
– What is the difference between AC and DC?
– How do we generate electricity?
– Why do we need transformers?