Music Appreciation Midterm Review
Transcript Music Appreciation Midterm Review
1.What is a steady, recurring pulse called?
2.What is a question and answer pattern
in which a group responds to a leader?
3. What is the highness or lowness of
sound determined by its vibration?
4. What is an intentionally organized
succession of musical tones called?
5. Who is a contemporary trumpeter from
a musical family?
6. Johann Sebastian Bach was famous for
playing and improving on which
10. Instruments that produce music by vibrating a
column of air are called ____________.
11. The xylophone is an example of what type of
12. Which characteristics are commonly
associated with classical music?
13. What is another term for folk music?
14. What term is the distinct tonal quality of an
7. True or False: Once a person establishes
musical preferences it never changes
8. Who fused West African music with
American styles of rhythm and blues, funk,
and jazz ?
15. Which genre of music began in Detroit,
9. What is the term for the structure and
design of a composition, incorporating
repetition, contrast, unity, and variety?
16. Define rhythm: ___________
instrument or voice?
1. Perceptive listening means:
1. A unit of musical times is
called a ______________
2. A sequence of tones
arranged in rising pitches
2. What is a “found instrument”?
3. What are characteristics of
4. What word means deliberate
shifts of the accent so that I
goes against the steady beat?
5. What is a repeated musical
6. The Bamileke people perform
highly rhythm music to
accompany their _________
3. What is the definition of a
4. What are characteristics of
effective musical critiques?
5. Virtuoso is another word for:
6. Mariachi bands play a style of
music from what country?
7. Luciana Pavarotti sings what
voice part? (tenor or bass?)
8. What is the distance in pitch
between two tones called?
1. What word designates a dance music
created by Mexicans in Texas? ________
2. ___________ refers to a dance in which foot
movements produce audible rhythms
emphasized by small metal plates on the
soles of the dancer’s shoes.
3. A twenties-century musical form that
radically changed the course of popular
music was: ______
4. The Nutcracker is an example of _______
5. The music for the Rite of Spring was
composed by _________
6. Riverdance created a renewed interest in
7. A dance that features the breakaway,
when dance partners separate to improvise
movement before coming back together, is
8. What new profession did disco create?
9. Soprano refers to which range of the
female voice (low, medium, high)
10. The lowest male voice classification is
11. What term refers to the capacity to
12. What is singing a melody without
accompaniment or harmony called?
13. What term is used to describe a genre
of African American music that often
expresses frustration, sadness, or longing?
1. An extended work for orchestra with several contrasting
movements is called a __________.
2. What is a musical form in which a melodic idea is stated and then
varied successive statements?
3. What term refers to a musician who reworks existing musical
4. Melodies are almost always built on a _______.
5. The director of an orchestra, choir, or other performing group is
called a __________.
6. True or False: the root of a chord refers to the tone on which the
chord is build (I’ll just tell you this one, it is TRUE).
7. An aspect of music that control’s the listener’s sense of how much
time is passed is called ______ time.