• 149 597 871 kilometers
• This is the average distance between the earth
and the sun
• The distance traveled by light in one Earth
• This is a unit of length
Alice and Bob
• Why is it dark at night?
• Is that star really there?
• Why are we looking through time when we
look at the stars at night?
• Also called diffuse nebula. a cloud of
interstellar gas and dust
• A celestial body that generates light and other
radiant energy and consists of a mass of gas
held together by its own gravity in which the
energy generated by nuclear reactions.
• Any of the celestial bodies visible at night
from Earth as relatively stationary, usually
twinkling points of light.
Betelgeuse – taken with Hubble
• National Geographic Hubble History (2009)
• Distances and Planets like ours
• Spectacular photos from space.
Necessities for Life