Introduction to Optoelectronics 1st Lecture
Transcript Introduction to Optoelectronics 1st Lecture
Graduate School of Engineering
Short Term Education Program for Foreign Sudent
Introduction to Optoelectronics
1st Lecture: Optoelectronics in your neighborhood
Prof. Katsuaki Sato
Research: COE for Future Nano Materials
Education: Department of Applied Physics
What do you imagine when you hear
the word “opto-electronics”?
• Opto-electronics is a word combining optics
and electronics, mainly used in Japan.
• American people prefer to use a term
“optronics” or “electro-optics”.
• This academic field covers broad concepts
involving light emitting devices and elements,
information displays, image pickup devices,
optical storages, optical communications,
remote sensing systems and so on.
Why optical fiber can transmit light so
Structure of optical fiber
What is the total reflection?
How far can the fiber transmit light?
What are physical reasons of light
– Long wavelength attenuation
– Short wavelength attenuation
– Optimum wavelenth
Can you tell how many kinds of
displays are found in the market?
How many kinds of optical disks do
• Read-only memory (ROM) type
• Direct read after write (DRAW) or Write-once
• Rewritable (RW) or Random access memory
• CD, MD, MO, DVD, BD, HD-DVD
Components of opto-electronics
Light emitting diodes (LED)
Laser diodes (LD)
Why and how these diodes emit light?
To answer the question we need to
Solid state physics
– pn junctions
devices is necessary
Integrated optical circuit (IOC)
• integrated optical circuit (IOC) :A circuit, or
group of interconnected circuits, consisting of
miniature solid-state optical components on
semiconductor or dielectric substrates. Note:
IOC components include light sources, optical
filters, photodetectors, and thin-film optical
Optoelectric integrated circuit (OEIC)
• Technologies for integrating optoelectronic
devices and electronic circuitry
• Classified as either hybrid or monolithic
• None of these technologies is fully developed,
but limited hybrid integration is available
• Please answer briefly the following questions in the sheet distributed. This
is to establish an optimal educational program for this class. The answer
does not affect your final rating.
• Question 1
Can you tell a range of wavelength (in nm) of visible light?
• Question 2
Laser is an abbreviation of a word string. Spell it out.
• Question 3
What is the difference between LED and LD?
• Question 4
What is the difference between CD-R and CD-RW?
• Question 5
Please explain how the light is transmitted through optical fiber.