Types of Minerals - Independence Public School District
Transcript Types of Minerals - Independence Public School District
Types of Minerals
Silicates (96% of Earth’s crust)
- contain silicon and oxygen (SiO4).
- include feldspar, quartz, mica, & olivine.
- tetrahedron crystalline structure.
- contain a metal bonded to carbonate (CO3).
- include calcite (CaCO3) and dolomite (CaMg(CO3)2)
- contain a metal bonded to oxygen.
- include hematite (Fe2O3), magnetite (Fe3O4), &
- rocks that contain a mineral that can be mined at a
- if demand for a particular mineral declines, the
rock containing it may possibly be no longer be
considered an ore.
- minerals that are prized for their rarity and beauty.