Twenty Questions - Norwell Public Schools
Transcript Twenty Questions - Norwell Public Schools
Ancient Greece Review:
*1. Identify 2 geographic features of
Follow Up Question: Describe how
these features impacted Greece
*2. In the Persian Wars, what two
empires were at war?
Greek City-States vs. the Persian Empire
Follow Up Question: Who Won?
3. How did Athenians abuse the $ given by
the members of the Delian League?
They used it to rebuild Athens-marble
buildings, sculptures, etc. rather than
building up the navy which is what they
were supposed to be using the money
*4. Who was the philosopher who
wrote The Republic?
Follow Up Question: Name one other
*5. What is the building in Alexandria that is
considered one of the Ancient Seven Wonders of
The lighthouse at Alexandria
Follow Up Question: How was this lit?
* 6. Describe Athenian Democracy
Direct, limited government run by the people.
Direct means the people vote on all issues
Limited because only male, land-owning citizens
Follow Up Question: How is the U.S.
government similar or different to Athens?
7. How did Pericles make the
government less limited in Athens?
Gave salaries to those who participated in the
government so that poor farmers were able to be
a part of the decision.
8. Define the word Polis
9. Describe 3 to 4 Athenian values:
10. Describe 3 to 4 Spartan Values
Dedication to the state
giving birth to male children
Didn’t value wealth
Few freedoms-you belong to the state
* 11. What was the role of women in
Athens: take care of the home, not well
Follow Up Question: Did women have more
rights in Sparta?
12. What areas did Alexander the
Egypt, Indus Valley, Persia, Syria
13. Hellenistic culture is a blend of which 4
Indian, Greek, Persian, Egyptian
14. What was the war between Athens
and Sparta known as?
The Peloponnesian War
15. Who is Homer and what did he
Homer was a Greek poet who wrote
the Iliad and the Odyssey.
* 16. What league did the Spartans form to
oppose (go against) the Athenian Delian
Follow Up Question: What did the opposing
leagues lead to?
17. Why would Alexander the Great’s
empire be difficult to rule?
Because it is so large and spread out.
He does unite the empire by making the common
18. Who is the Hippocrates and what
is the purpose of his oath?
Father of medicine, to protect and
19. Describe the architecture of Ancient Greece by
using the Parthenon as an example:
Columns, symmetrical, simplistic,
20. Who were the helots and what role
did they play in Greek society?
The helots were slaves. They built
public works, cooked, worked in