Pre-test on THE UNIVERSE, GALAXIES, AND STARS
Transcript Pre-test on THE UNIVERSE, GALAXIES, AND STARS
1. Please take a few minutes to answer the questions
2. If you don’t know how to answer a question, put a
“IDK” in the answer space.
3. Since you have not done the activity yet, there
may be some words and questions below that you
have not seen before. Do your best to answer, and
remember, this won’t be graded!
1. What does this thing do?
2. How does the gold thing or the long
silver tube help us study the universe?
3. Which of the following defines
“cosmic microwave background”?
A form of matter
The first primordial elements
Leftover heat from the Big Bang
Red shifted galaxies
4. What is the name of the scientific
theory that stated that the universe
started in an expansion/inflation and is
5. How is the universe changing? Is the universe
accelerating, decelerating or static ?
a) Accelerating-speeding up
b) Decelerating-slowing down
c) Static-not changing
6. How old is the universe?
7. Which best describes a light
a) A the characteristic size of light
b) the distance the Earth travels around the sun
in one year
c) the distance light travels in one year
d) the time it takes light to travel once around
the Earth's orbit
e) The time light takes to come to Earth from
8. Put the following in order from smallest (1) to
• solar system
• our sun
• our moon
9. if the nearest star is 4.2 light-years away then
• the light we see left the star 4.2 years ago.
• the star is 4.2 million miles away.
• the star must have formed 4.2 billion years
• all of these.
10. The largest identifiable "structure"
in the universe is a
c) Cluster of galaxies
d) Super cluster of galaxies
11. What were the first elements formed in the
Hydrogen and Helium
Carbon and Nitrogen
Lithium and Boron
Gold and Iron
12. Which of the following would
scientists say is true about the universe?
a) the universe started out very cold and is getting
hotter with time.
b) The universe started out very dense and has become
less dense with time.
c) The universe is the same age as the Earth.
d) The universe and our galaxy are the same thing.
e) The universe does not change with time.
13. Why is dark matter and energy so
14. Suppose that we look at a photograph of
many galaxies. Assuming that all galaxies
formed at about the same time, which galaxy
in the picture is the youngest – the one that is
furthest or closest? Explain
15. Evaluate the “Big Bang” theory
• Is it a scientific idea?
16. How will the universe end? What
will be left?
17. Think of one question about space science
that you would like answered during our study
of this unit.
(Or name one topic that you’d like to learn
more about in astronomy.)
8. What force keeps a star from
How do astronomers know the
universe is expanding?
9. What amazing event will happen to our Milky
Way in 3 billion years?
10. What is the final stage of our sun’s
10 billion year life?
11. What is this?
12. And this?
13. And this?
14. And this?
15. What is at the core of our galaxy?