Module 5 Reading and Vocabulary
equal important look after philosopher philosophy
ruler state teachings thinker treat war
In ancient China, private teachers traveled from state to
explaining their p________
hilosophy Confucius was the
most important of the ancient Chinese p________
eaching influenced society for more than
hinkers included Mencius
2000 years. Other important t_______
and Mozi. All three teachers believed in the i_________
of kindness and good government. Mencius’s ideas were
very similar to those of Confucius, but some of Mozi’s
eachings were very different. For example, he hated
the idea of w_____
and believed that strong people should
ook after weaker people.
is born good
human beings are equal.
family is important. We are members
of a group.
others in the way you want to treated.
are more important than rulers
should love all human beings.
Match the words with the definitions:
1. an idea that influences the way you behave principle
2. to start an organisation or philosophy
3. the feeling that something is true and exists _______
4. when people obey laws and rules and do not
5. to look after children until they are adults bring
6. give a lot of importance to
8. doing what he suggested
9. tell your employer that you are going to leave your jo
10. someone who gives advice
11. having a lot of influence
Read the passage in three minutes and
say T or F to the following statements:
1. Confucius lived in a country where
there was no war a long time ago. F
2. Confucius was a philosopher whose influence has
been the greatest for more than 2000 years. T
3. Mencius was a student taught by Confucius. F
4. Some rulers followed the advice which was given
by Mencius. F
5. Mozi was a man who lived an unusual life. T
1. Whose influence has been the greatest among all the
philosophers of ancient China?
A. Mencius B. Mozi
2. Confucius stressed the importance of the following
B. friendship C. order D. duty
3. Which is NOT the right statement about Mozi?
A. He was known for his unusual clothes and behavior.
B. He hated the idea of war.
C. All his beliefs were the same as Confucius.
D. He believed all men were equal.
4. “If the government was kind, then people would
be good.” is the teaching of _________.
5. Which belief by Mozi was similar to that of
A. We should love all human beings.
B. The government shouldn’t treat people badly.
C. We should look after those who are weaker than
D. The government was most important.
6. What’s main idea of the passage?
A. The author wants to make people believe in the
teachings by thinkers of ancient.
B. The author wants to introduce three influential
philosophers of ancient China.
C. The author wants to tell interesting stories about
three important teachers in ancient China.
D. The author wants to show the history of
philosophy in ancient China.
7. Which shows the right order of time when the three
great thinkers lived?
A. Confucius--- Mencius ---Mozi B.Mencius----Mozi---Confucius
8. From the text we can infer that___________
A. Only in time of war could philosophers produce great
B. It was not easy to find a state where people would
follow the thinker's teaching.
C. Great philosophers must have been born in poor
D. Influential philosophers wouldn’t agree with each other.
Scan the text for some important information:
kindness, Man is good;
duty;order People would
in society be good；
men were equal;
love for the
Weak; hate the
idea of war
Retell the whole passage according
to the table.