Transcript Population Dynamics
• Population Dynamics refers to how a
population of a species can change.
• Population is affected by resources
available, competition, death/birth rate,
• Carrying capacity is the maximum number
of members of populations in an area that
will have enough resources to survive
Where is the carrying capacity?
6000 would be the carrying capacity
Population of Deer
• Populations in an ecosystem will not exceed
their carrying capacity because resources
(food, shelter) are limited.
– Populations that go beyond capacity will
compensate by having a higher rate of death.
• Humans can go beyond a reasonable carrying
capacity because of our technologies.
• Limiting factors determine the size of a
–Competition for resources
Limiting factors lower population
Populations in danger
• When a population can not be sustained
by its habitat, this will lead to extinction.