Corporate 2 Template - Department of the Environment
Transcript Corporate 2 Template - Department of the Environment
CLIMATE CHANGE & ENERGY
EU FUNDING WORKSHOP
Environmental Policy Division
Barroso Task Force
• Established by President Barroso in 2007;
• Original remit centered on Peace Process;
• Reinvigorated in 2010;
• Remit broadened to improve NI involvement as a region
Barroso Task Force
• Programme for Government 20% additional funds target;
• Thematic Groups:
– Competitiveness & Employment;
– Innovation & Technology;
– Climate Change & Energy;
– Social Cohesion.
• Winning in Europe sets out European Priorities.
Climate Change & Energy Thematic Group
• Led by Department of the Environment;
– Department for Agriculture & Rural Development;
– Department for Enterprise, Trade & Investment;
– Department for Regional Development;
– Department for Social Development.
• Tackle climate change mitigation and adaptation;
• Improve resource efficiency;
• Develop energy infrastructure;
• Increase energy from alternative /renewable sources;
• Develop smart transport infrastructure;
• Strengthen the agri-food sector;
• Encourage R&D, creativity and innovation;
• Continue to build capacity.
Key EU Policies
• Europe 2020 Flagship: Resource Efficient Europe;
• Low-carbon Economy 2050 Road Map;
• The European Commission White Paper 2011: Roadmap to a
single European Transport Area;
• The European Energy Efficiency Plan (until 2020);
• Common Agricultural Policy and the Rural Development
• Common Fisheries Policy;
• Innovating for Sustainable Growth: a Bioeconomy for Europe,
Strategy and Action plan.
Targeted EU Elective funding streams
• FP7 for Research and Innovation;
• Horizon 2020;
• Trans-European Networks Transport (TEN-T);
• Intelligent Energy Europe Programme;
• Smart Cities and Communities Initiative;
Participation in EU Networks/Consortia
• ENCORE (Environment Conference of the Regions of
• Agriculture, Food Security and Climate change
• European Innovation Partnership (EIP) on Agricultural
Productivity and Sustainability;
• European Regions of Research and Innovation
Benefits of the C&E Thematic Group
Working with the Commission & Taskforce;
Improved engagement /alignment with EU policy;
Communicating better on what NI is doing;
C&E thematic group covers a wide spectrum;
Opportunity to take a more holistic approach;
Opportunity to work with other thematic groups;
NI as an exemplar region for the rest of the EU.
What Do We Do In Belfast?
Established a small team within EPD;
Exchange information with Desk Officer;
Examine EU Funding Programmes & Calls;
Disseminate information to our network of contacts;
Seek to build our network;
Facilitate & support project proposals;
Meet regularly as a Group;
Establish priorities and action plans each year;
Report progress quarterly / annually.
Name of Project
Interreg IVB (
• DETI - Energy Infrastructure;
• DARD - CAP reform;
• DRD - TEN-T
• DSD - Energy Efficiency
The Role of the Desk Officer In Brussels
Climate & Energy Desk
What We Do in Brussels
Facilitate NI-EU interaction- meetings, intelligence etc.
Ministerial and Other Visits
Participate in European networks/ build partnerships.
Liaise on policy/ work plans with UK, Ireland, Commission
Help Identify funding streams, partners and consortiums
What is it Like Working In Brussels?
Most people are there for the same reason;
Get involved – networks, access to Commission;
Close liaison with UK and Irish Representation
Support from colleagues in ONIEIB
Contact with Departments in Northern Ireland.
What Do YOU Need To Do?
Approach our team;
Know your issue;