2016 Annual Site Visit
2016 Annual Site Visit
Tonto Creek Solar Installation Adventure
March 5th – 12th
Previously on QESST…
1) Inventory from past projects at MTW (ASU)
• What do we have and what can we do with it?
2) Connect to the grid, or for use with batteries?
• Concerns about time (permit, equipment,…)
3) Solar In Your Community challenge (March 17th)
• What do we need to participate?
4) Sponsorship and fundraising
• Where can we get the money from?
Panels – (2) 96-cell panels at MTW. (Infinite) 60-cell panels
can be obtained from Prof. Mani at ASU Polytech campus
Charge Controller – (2) Pulse-width modulation charge
controllers at ASU; the larger one may have some water
damage that needs to be checked
Small Charge Controller:
Max. PV Input Voltage: 25 VDC
Large Charge Controller:
Ratings to 60A at 48VDC (arrays till 4kW)
Batteries – Pb-acid car battery (12V), and another LiFePO4
(24V, 10A; checking if ~2000 Wh) battery.
Pb-acid car battery
LiFePO4 (24V, 10A; checking)
Inverter– – 600 W inverter available
Inverter - DC input range: 21.4 - 33.0 VDC
So, what can we do with this?…
…probably, a small battery system.
Is it worth to install a battery system at Tonto? Or should we
go for grid-tied?
Could this system power any of the camp sites?
Can we get the project ready by March 5th?
Mobile PV Station Demo (w/Battery)
• Build a mobile standalone unit during spring break that can power
several items, e.g., laptop, USB chargers, a cooler (handout cold
drinks at outreach events) or TV. Useful for outreach events at QESST.
• Work out kinks and issues without having to travel back & forth to
• Test a data logger on the demo system to collect real-time data
• Show the model to NSF during Site Visit
• Plan for Tonto installation over summer – go for a grid-tied system
Mobile PV Station Demo
What do we need for spring break?
- From Dr. Mani at ASU
- From MTW or buy cheap ones
- IGERT program connection with Tesla. Get a Powerwall donation
- From MTW
• Data Logger
- Buy one
• Mountable support structure
- Aluminum structure
- Tiffany Rowlands from outreach events.
Spring Break Project Tasks (at ASU)
Get panels and information from Dr. Mani
Figure out if we can use those batteries with 60 cell panels. If not, find the cost
for new batteries
Contact IGERT to ask for a Tesla Powerwall donation
Figure out if we can use the controller with 60 cell panels. If not, find the cost
for new controller
Find the cost for a data logger that works with our system
Mobile metal structure for 2-3 solar panels
Contact Tiffany to obtain appliances. Could we get a camping fridge/TV/DVD
player for free/donated?
Safety Instructions presentation/brochure for system installation
Funding opportunities: QESST, crowdfunding, local company partnership,
system component donations, Student groups, Alumni, etc.
Summer Project in Tonto Creek Camp
Visit Tonto Creek Camp to understand the power needed on each site
Permit requirements research for solar installation in Tonto Creek Camp
Funding opportunities: QESST, crowdfunding, Tonto Creek Camp, local
company partnership, system component donations, Alumni, etc.
- To fly in QESST students for summer
- To buy parts needed in the system
Who wants to be a