ACFA View Point on
ACFA View Point on
Report from ACFA and KEK
ACFA LC Physics and Detector
NTU, Taipei, November 9, 2004
Asian Committee for
Officially established in the First Plenary
ACFA meeting held in 1996 at POSTECH,
The primary purpose of ACFA shall be to
strengthen regional collaboration in acceleratorbased science. In particular, ACFA seeks
to facilitate efficient utilization of existing
human and material resources,
to bring up accelerator scientists of the next
to encourage future accelerator projects in
Asia and to make recommendations for them
• ACFA is open to any active region in Asia, which
is willing to contribute to the advancement of
• ACFA is not intended to displace or supersede
any existing organization.
• ACFA will closely cooperate with ICFA
(International Committee for Future
ACFA Members at Present
Major Accelerator Facilities in Asia
•PAL SASE X-FEL
•Shanghai Light Source
•HPPA & SNS
•SC Linac, NSC
3 GeV SRS
Green – Operational
Blue – Under Construction
Red - Proposed
•SP8 SASE X-FEL
• Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary
1st H. Sugawara, KEK
2nd Zheng Zhipeng, Chen Hesheng, IHEP
3rd W. Namkung, POSTECH
4th D.Bhawalkar, CAT
5th S. Kurokawa, from November 2004
Major Activities of ACFA
• Regular meetings of Plenary ACFA. Every year a
Plenary ACFA meeting has been organized on regular
basis to discuss accelerator activities of various ACFA
members and the progress of various working groups
after its inception.
1st POSTECH (Pohan, Korea) in 1996
2nd NSRC (Nakorn Ratchasima, Thailand) in 1997
3rd KEK (Tsukuba, Japan) in 1998
4th CAT (Indore, India) in 1999
5th Geyongju, Korea in 2000
6th Beijing, China in 2001
7th Univ. of Melbourne, Australia in 2002
8th NSRRC (Hsinchu, Taiwan) in 2003
9th VECC (Kolkata, India) in Nov. 2004
• Organize or participate in organizing or sponsoring
accelerator schools, symposia, workshops and
• APAC is held under the auspices of ACFA
- APAC98 in Tsukuba, Japan in 1998
- APAC01 in Beijing in 2001
- APAC04 in Geyongju in 2004
- APAC07 in Indore in 2007
• Meetings (Many)
- ACFA Symposium on GLC in Tsukuba in Feb.
- ACFA LC meet in CAT Indore in April 2003
- ACFA workshop on LC Physics and
Technology (7 times, last one at TIFR in India in
December 2003, and this time at NTU in Taiwan
in November 2004)
• ACFA in Kolkata (Nov. 2004) endorsed the proposal by
Indians to host LCWS-06 in India
ACFA Activities (cont.)
• Set up study or working groups to address special issues
of the accelerator sciences.
- Linear collider activities (ALCSC, ACFA Linear
Collider Steering Committee chaired by
Professor W. Namkung)
- LC physics and detectors WG
- High power proton accelerators WG
- Electronic publications WG
- Networking WG
- Advanced accelerators WG (established in
• Issue statements to endorse and support various
accelerator projects in Asia.
• Statement on the Beijing Tau-Charm Factory
issued at the First ACFA Meeting.
• Statement on National Synchrotron Research Center in Thailand
issued at the First Plenary ACFA Meeting.
• 1st Statement on the e+e- Linear Collider
issued at the Second Plenary ACFA Meeting.
• Statement on the BELLE Collaboration at KEKB Collider
issued at the Fourth Plenary ACFA Meeting.
• 2nd Statement on the e+e- Linear Collider
issued at the 6th Plenary ACFA Meeting.
• Statement on the Linac Undulator Light Installation (LIULI) in
issued at the 7th Plenary ACFA Meeting.
• 3rd Statement on the e+e- Linear Collider
issued at the 9th Plenary ACFA Meeting in November 2004.
ACFA and ILC
• ACFA strives to get the LC in Asia
• Two ACFA statements were issued in 1997 and
2001 and 3rd one was issued in November 2004
• Approach all Asian governments & convince them to
participate actively in LC
• Identify the R&D capabilities and industrial
strength to optimize the cost for LC
• Training of Asian manpower through workshops,
schools, conferences & exchange of scientists
• There will be vast opportunities for each country to
contribute to the success of LC.
• ALCSC(ACFA Linear Collider Steering Committee,
Chair W. Namkung) has been formed in 2002
2nd ACFA Statement on e+e- Linear
Collider in 2001
• Now the strategy on the LC project becomes
clearer and the community matured, the time is
ripe to define new steps towards the realization
of the LC:
• The e+e- LC must start operation when the high
luminosity run of LHC starts around 2009-2010.
The center of mass energy of the LC should be
250-500 GeV where urgent and critical physics
is expected. Including its energy upgrade to
higher than 1 TeV, the project as a whole is
foreseen to evolve for a quarter of a century.
• ACFA strongly endorses the plan to construct
such a collider in the Asian-Pacific region with
Japan as the host, and urges KEK to take
initiative to investigate possible and practical
form of globalization for the construction,
commissioning and operation of the collider.
• ACFA urges the Japanese Government to
arrange a preparatory budget for KEK to pursue
an engineering design of the collider, to study
site and civil engineering, as well as to
investigate the process for the globalization.
3rd ACFA Statement on e+e- Linear
in Nov. 2004 in Kolkata, India
• ACFA welcomes the truly international nature of
the decision on technology for the ILC. This sets
the stage for international collaboration in the
design efforts for the ILC.
• ACFA reaffirms that the ILC, the next major highenergy physics project, should be realized by
world-wide efforts. In such International
collaboration, ACFA and scientists in ACFA
countries should play crucial and leading roles.
• ACFA reconfirms the importance of hosting ILC
in Asia, which will make high energy physics and
accelerator science truly global.
• ACFA urges the Japanese Government to fully
support the efforts of KEK and Japanese
scientists to host the ILC in Japan.
• ACFA reconfirms that KEK is the best suited
institute for hosting the Central Team of GDI.
• ACFA urges KEK to establish the Asian Regional
Center for R&D in GDI and encourages other
Asian countries to actively participate in GDI.
• With ILC entering this important phase, ACFA
urges Governments of Asian countries to
support participation of their scientists in GDI.
KEK’s Atitude towards ILC
• KEK will actively take part in the R&D of the ILC to
investigate its feasibility. (KEK is trying to change its
R&D effort from warm to clod technology)
• KEK actively invites GDI Central Team to KEK, and
makes efforts so that Japanese researchers can have
important posts in GDI including its Director.
• By having the GDI Asian Regional Team at KEK, KEK
manages to form an Asia collaboration scheme under
the leadership of KEK
• The Director General of KEK will support the activities of
researchers who strive to have the ILC located in Japan.
Present Status of Accelerator Science
and High Energy Physics in Asia
• We have witnessed rapid progresses in
accelerator sciences and high-energy phyics in
Asian region these years.
• Asian accelerator sciences have caught up
those of fore-runners, namely, European and
• There still remains wide difference within Asian
region in terms of accelerator sciences;
therefore, we need to strengthen collaborations
among Asian countries.
ILC and ASIA
• Asia has expertise which can be directed to
develop SCRF technology
• Asia has large trained manpower to undertake
construction of ILC
• Cost of ILC will be substantially reduced if:
- ILC is built in Asia
- Asian Countries participate in a big way
ACFA and ILC
• Strive to get the ILC in Asia
• Approach all Asian Government & convince
them to participate actively in ILC
• Identify the R&D capabilities and industrial
strength to optimize the cost and time for
• Training of Asian manpower through
workshops, schools, conferences & exchange
Challenges for Asia
• Get ILC in Asia
• Develop rapidly SCRF Technology
• Train sufficient manpower in SCRF Technology
• Transfer SCRF Technology to Industries
• Active regional Collaboration
• Unified approach to Asian participation in ILC
• Potentiality of the Asian world is the largest in
the world and I believe that in a decade or two
this region will have the largest power in the
world, in economy, science, etc.
• Asia deserves to be the host of ILC. ACFA has
strongly endorsed the LC in the Asian region.
We sincerely hope that on the basis of
collaboration among Asian countries that ILC will
be built in Asia.
Asians Desperately Needs
ASIANS DESPERATELY NEED
A MAJOR HEP
Thank you for your